Monday, April 3, 2023

 Well, it's been a bad day. Should have just stayed home as my instincts told me to do this morning.  I'm going to bypass a lot of stuff and just go straight to the heart of the matter: I had an accident and I was at fault.  I haven't had an at fault accident in so long, I don't even remember what the last time was, at least 15 years? Longer?

And it was a stupid mistake rookie drivers make.  I was behind a pickup truck in a turning lane.  He was stopped looking for traffic and I stopped as well.  There was nothing coming so I assumed (that was my mistake) that he was moving.  Nope.  He had stopped again for unknown reasons, there was nothing there, it was a yield turning lane.  I hit the gas and saw him stopped too late. I slammed on the brakes and almost avoided the collision, but I had the trailer on and it was loaded with stuff and it pushed me into his vehicle.  

My fault, absolutely.  I was ready to own up to it as well. The dude gets out of his truck, I open the window - I was prepared to admit my mistake.  He entered into road rage.  I mean, serious road rage and  sucker-punched me in my mouth.  He was cussing me out and blah blah blah, but I kept my cool. I went for my phone while he was threatening to drag me out of the vehicle and beat the s*** out of me.  I sized this guy up quickly, much smaller than me, appeared to be older than I, could have easily taken him.  But, I kept my cool.  I was trying to get the video recording turned on so I could get a video of him yelling and threatening me, but once he saw that he walked away. 

I got out - left my gun in the car, hoping it wouldn't come to having to defend my life, he walked back to his truck with his wife, who had also gotten out.  You got insurance?  Yes, but he just assaulted me and threatened to beat my ass afterward.  She started laughing and repeated endlessly: No he didn't! There was no sense arguing with her, she wasn't even out of the truck when it happened.   I wasn't arguing with her, not worth it, I called the police.  I told them that yes I had rear-ended a pickup but the man had assaulted me, punching me in the face.  

I went back to my vehicle and just calmly waited, this woman both lying about what happened and also trying to get her husband to cool his jets.  The police did their "interrogation" of me, but it wasn't anything bad or ridiculous, took a bunch of pictures of the outside and the inside of my mouth. 

3 police cars showed up quickly - they don't have much concern about an accident but an assault, they are going to get there quick.  I told them what had happened and then they asked me if I wanted to press charges?  If he apologizes to me, I will let it go.  If not, I'm going to move on with assault charges.  They left, came back 10 minutes later and asked me if I had spit on the man? No. Well was there an altercation at your driver's door window? Yes, I rolled the window down when he walked up. He started cussing me out and then out of the blue punched me in the mouth.  He then claimed he was going to drag me out of the car and beat the s*** out of me.  

He's claiming you spit on him. Of course he did, I thought, he had to make something up to justify his unbelievable reaction.  No, I never spit on him. I just stood my ground with my story.  There is no way this guy is going to lie about it and me just back down because he makes up a story to try to cover his @$$.  

They hauled him off to jail, him repeatedly saying I "ran into him on purpose". Like, who the heck would just rear end a vehicle on purpose and then sit there?  If I were so inclined, which I was not and never am, I would have also taken off.  Felony offense, hit and run.  Yeah, right.  It was preposterous the stories he was making up.  The dude has anger issues. I don't know why, he probably has family/marriage issues, financial issues, who knows what.  

The cops asked me several times about pressing charges, but after I saw him punching his fist into his hand after the cops left him and they weren't paying attention?  Yeah, I'm pressing charges.  I had originally stated that if he apologizes, I will let it go.  Obviously that was a non-happening event and he went to jail. They put him in cuffs and that was that.  

I took the trailer to the property, unloaded the drywall and door - it's going to rain tomorrow and I don't need that stuff sitting outside - went home and here I am. Yes, I filed a claim, I still have full coverage insurance and they are going to fix it, it's already been confirmed for a local auto-body shop that has an excellent reputation.  

I don't really feel like typing, it really got to me this man punching me for no reason - accidents happen, if someone rear ended me, which has happened, I don't get out in rage.  I just ask them for their insurance and anymore, you have to call the police. People will lie about what happened and try to get out of responsibility. The worst part? This policy has a deductible, of course, not that bad at $500 but it does not have rental car coverage. I didn't know they hadn't included that, gag.  You know it's weeks in an auto body shop and I can't go without a vehicle for that long. 

Oh well. 







No comments:

Sooo..... After fixing the brakes on the trailer myself, I headed down to Nacogdoches. After getting the trailer washed out, I was talking w...