Thursday, January 13, 2022

 News

A local loan officer will be here at 1:00 pm to do the closing signing.  You can't just have any ole' notary, I found out, you have to have one certified in closing documents. Learn something new every day? I guess, a regular notary would have just brought the papers, had me sign them, endorse it with their signature and stamp, enter into their log and be done with it. Right? I will find out soon enough, it's 11:30 am.  The loan officer from the company I'm doing the refi/cash out said that if I want to have it wire transferred, I need to fill in a block of info on the signing.  

Yup, I don't want a check, I want it wired directly into my account.  After that, it's going to go into another account. Last I checked, you are only covered up to 100k at a bank, after that,  your loss.  Just going to dump that entire amount into a new bank account after I get it set up, a local bank at that.  

Beyond that? Well my dispatcher apparently has been starting a lot of trouble with other drivers, I found out from the guy that initiated the driver texting group.  First, she sent out a text to all drivers - excepting me, I'm not on the list and knew nothing about until yesterday - saying that Comacho - he's the dude that runs the transportation department of the company that has us hauling all of that cryo product down to the border.  She informed everyone that detention pay would not longer be paid 14 hours from the moment you arrive, detention time would start after 10 hours of being down there.  

That would all-but-effectively end detention pay.  When we go down there, we start the 14 hour detention clock immediately.  After 14 hours, we are "off" for 10 and then if we stay a second day, the 14 hour clock starts again after the 10.  Note that the old company I first worked for before it was bought out by this current company gave us detention pay the entire time we were down there.  

She started a firestorm of angry drivers, apparently, contacting her, her manager and our manager.  Shortly after she sent out this text, her manager sent out a group text, including to her: Ignore Amanda's last text, nothing has changed with detention pay.  Must have been a slap in this new dispatcher's face, she for some reason hates that we get paid for waiting down there and has made it very well known to everyone, including my manager, who apparently had some choice words for her.  HE got the contracted re-worked after this  new company bought us all out and got us the 14 hour wait pay. They were going to do away with it altogether.

There would have been hell to pay with that decision, no one would want to go down there. Why should we? Wait for up to 2 sometimes even 3 days for nothing? No thanks.  Especially knowing the fact that our company gets paid for that wait time regardless.  

After that, this driver that called me went down a list of people she had pissed off. He said that if I ask literally anyone in our group if they had had a bad encounter with her, they would all give a resounding yes!  Typical truck drivers, speak first, think later.  But, perfectly understand the derision that ensued in mocking this dispatcher - tho I won't engage in that.  He then found out I wasn't on that list and apparently a viola! went up - he wondered why I hadn't jumped in there and said something immediately.  I probably would have, tho not deriding the dispatcher, I would have questioned the validity of her statement.  

Apparently this dispatcher has caused so much angst and anger among drivers, most of them are hoping she is fired and many are looking for new jobs.  This company couldn't cover a bunch of drivers walking out.  There are having a hard time finding new drivers - as are most all trucking companies - and are giving away prizes and lots of cash to anyone that can recruit new drivers into the company.  It's probably why they have, so far, tolerated me covering up the inward facing camera and microphone with duct tape.  

I'm actually glad I missed all of that.  

As for today? I have no desire to drive, yet, she wants me to take an empty to Amarillo for service and bring an empty that has been serviced, back.  She knew I had this going on today, but she told my manager "he has some personal business" to attend to. She neither knew the time it was going to occur nor did she care that I wanted the day off and that she had already given it to me. I am weary from constant working. I need a day or even two off right now.  From now on, I'm copying both the dispatch manager and my manager with any promises of time off.

We are planning a vacation to San Antonio soon - no date yet.  Probably 3 nights. Doing the river walk. I haven't been there in many, many years.  There's a lot of stuff to do there and there are some really nice hotels. But once I we get a date and I ask her for the time off, I'm making sure that this isn't going to happen again.  

The land clearing? I've asked this contractor a few times in the last couple of weeks, via text messaging, when he was planning on starting the project?  He never replied, so yesterday I asked again. No reply, so I sent a ? and then finally he said he was hung up on a project in DeKalb (small town probably 90 miles north of here) where he was building another RV park.  He said the rain had stopped work and they were waiting for the land to dry up so they could resume and finish. He said "probably" the 24th, which is two Mondays from now.

No, I am not upset about that. I have yet to finish the tree marking and frankly, I'm weary.  I could have gone out there this morning and done it, but I instead have been sitting in my bedroom for several hours.  I got up early, went with Taylor to take the 7 year old to the bus stop and then the 4 year old to day care.  Then off to breakfast, over to Super 1 to get some hamburger meat that is on sale - a lot of it - home, roasted a whole chicken, have that ready to go and now? Just going to take a shower, get ready to go after this guy shows up and we do the signing.  I wouldn't mind if he didn't show up until around 5:00 pm. I could then legitimately say the day is gone, I can go tomorrow or you can find someone else.  I've already made over $2,000 for next pay period, I'm getting a very large paycheck tomorrow, had a large paycheck last friday and the one before it was great as well.  

That's the only benefit of endless driving.  Huge paychecks.  I'm always of the thought, however, that there is more to life than working or money.  Money is good to have, yes, but it shouldn't consume an entire life to the point you have no time for anything else.  Hence, wanting to get into the RV park business - get that up and running, expand it when I have the financial capability to do so and then do that full time.  Home every day, have some part time employees helping out.  Taylor will arleady take care of the books and phone calls.  She found someone to clean the bathroom once a day.  I only need someone to clean up the property here and there - or I guess I can do it when I'm in town but I'm not sure I'm home often enough to keep up with it.  

Initially, the park will not have on sight management. It will have video surveillance to at least keep an eye on things.  And limited surveillance. The outside of the bath house, the entrance to the small office, probably the entrance and exits to the lots.  Oh, and one on the gas driveway.  That's about it, I don't want to get too intrusive with surveillance.  I'm not sure how I would sell firewood with no one there to collect the proceeds.  I'm not going to give it away.  I guess I could just have several cords out there and "please call" this number, say how many bundles you want and we will charge the credit card on file.  Maybe.  It's not just to make money, it's for all the people that want to have fires - there isn't going to be any wood laying around out there. 

Anyway, I need to get offa here, take a shower and get ready for the day ahead.

G'day.


No comments:

 Wednesday - 10:00 am Yes folks, I am just now climbing out of bed and drinking my morning coffee.  Why? Because I can, agenda for the day b...